The first day I went to the Doctor in 2010 I was immediately put on anti-depressants and sleeping pills. I was barely functioning for the first few months- I lost around 2 stone in weight apparently, and barely touched food.
Since then I have taken a lot of different anti- depressants;
- Citalopram (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citalopram)
- Fluoxetine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine)
- Sertraline (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline)
- Venlafaxine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venlafaxine)
- Trazadone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trazodone)
- Wellbutrin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion)
The above are those that I remember, over the years I have been on a number of others that proved to have negative side effects or no response at all.
Along with those came the sleeping/ anxiety pills:
- Zopiclone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zopiclone)
- Temazapam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temazepam)
- Diazepam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diazepam)
- Clonazepam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam)
- Flurazepam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flurazepam)
When I was diagnosed bi-polar officially in 2012 and that brought with it the additions of mood stabilisers and anti-psychotics:
- Lamotrigine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine)
- Quetiapine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetiapine)
- Prochlorperazine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prochlorperazine)
My main issues are that either they don’t have the desired effect or I get too many reactions or I get to a point where I plateau on a medication and get so used to it I start to ride the roller coaster again.
I came off all medication at one point- right before i emigrated. I was sick of the side effects and feeling like a was rattling like a pill bottle all the time. Within a 9 month period I realised this had not been a good idea- and this time, without prompting I sought medical help.
I would love to be medication free- but I have finally come to a place in my mind where I realise this isn’t necessarily going to happen. So, for me medication is helping. It is still a balancing act and the cocktails change all the time to correspond to my response to them, but I am better than I was.
I would love to hear from people on their experiences on different medications- what has and hasn’t worked, how it made them feel etc. Or if you are someone who has a relative/ friend/ partner suffering from a mental disorder- what you have noticed/ what your experiences are with being around someone who is medicated.